Bayshore NY General Dentist Explains What Dental Plaque is

As a Bayshore NY general dentist, Dr. Antenucci has many patients that come in for their checkups with a lot of dental plaque buildup. It is important to brush every day, twice a day, and to floss once a day in order to keep plaque levels at bay.


What is dental plaque?


Dental plaque is a thin biofilm of bacteria that covers the surface area of your teeth. The bacteria in dental plaque feed off of sugars from the foods that we eat and things that we drink. They create an acidic byproduct which continuously attacks the teeth and will eventually lead to decay.


What if dental plaque in not removed?


If dental plaque is not removed, it can lead to many different things. It can harden into a more advanced form, known as tartar. Tartar is more difficult to remove, and often you will need to visit your Bayshore NY general dentist in order to have it eliminated.


Failure to brush and floss daily increases the likelihood of developing cavities. You will also be more likely to experience gum disease and other oral problems. Keeping up with your oral health care can help to prevent these issues.


How can I prevent dental plaque?


The best way to avoid dental plaque buildup is to maintain an adequate oral health regime. Careful brushing and flossing can help to remove daily plaque buildup. Brushing helps to remove 65% of bacteria from the surface of teeth, and flossing removes the remaining 35% between teeth.


It is important to brush AND floss because just brushing or flossing alone is not enough. Flossing helps to access the small spaces between the teeth that the toothbrush cannot reach. You can also add a mouth rinse to your routine for extra cleanliness.


For information on how to brush and floss properly, or to schedule an appointment to have your teeth cleaned, contact your Bayshore NY general dentist by calling (631) 665-8484.