Bay Shore NY Dentists Explains how Cavities are Created

As a Bay Shore NY dentist, Dr. Antenucci has many patients with cavities. If you continuously get cavities, it may be time to change a few things. Cavities are holes in the teeth, and if left untreated, they can become painful and may require a root canal or that your tooth be extracted.


What is plaque?


Dental plaque is a biofilm of bacteria that covers the surface area of our teeth. Plaque is what causes dental decay and cavities. The bacteria in dental plaque feed off of sugars in our mouths and create an acidic byproduct which continuously attacks our teeth.


How can you remove plaque?


The best way to remove dental plaque is to carefully brush and floss daily. Your Bay shore NY dentist reminds you to brush twice a day, for two minutes each time, and floss once a day. Brushing removes 65% of the bacteria from your mouth, and flossing helps to remove the remaining 35%.


However, even with careful brushing and flossing plaque can still build-up. After a while, the plaque will transform into tartar, a hardened version of plaque that is difficult to remove. Typically you will need to visit your Bay Shore NY dentist once the plaque has turned into tartar.


What happens if you don’t remove it?


If you don’t brush and floss, and the plaque remains sedentary you are at an increased risk of suffering from dental decay, gum disease, tooth loss, etc. You Bay Shore NY dentist warns that the health of your mouth affects your overall health.


Be sure to maintain a good oral hygiene routine and keep up with your dental visits to avoid plaque buildup. You may even want to try adding a mouth rinse to your daily routine to help keep plaque levels at bay.


For more information on how to remove dental plaque, contact your Bay Shore NY dentist by calling (631) 665-8484. Don’t forget to call and schedule an appointment for your dental cleaning—ensure your plaque is gone!